Your first appointment at our office is designed to meet you and discuss your orthodontic concerns. This visit is complimentary. The doctor will perform a clinical examination to give you the customized, individual care you deserve. The information gathered during this exam will be helpful in answering your questions and addressing your concerns. If orthodontic treatment is indicated, we will explain your options in detail, including the cost for your particular case and available financing. We understand orthodontic care is a big decision and we will work with you each step of the way to make sure your treatment is as rewarding as possible. Our goal is to give you a healthy, beautiful smile and a great experience with our office. Once your appliances have been placed, staff will give you thorough instruction on caring for your braces.
Choosing Treatment With Our Office
We will arrange a time for you to have your beginning orthodontic films and records taken. The films and pictures we take are an important part of your orthodontic treatment, and will allow us to formulate a treatment plan that is just right for you. The appointment to place your braces will follow.
Your First Appointment To Begin Treatment With Our Office
You will begin by signing in at our front desk with our friendly staff. We give each patient the option to brush at our Brushing Station if desired. This appointment will take approximately 60 minutes for your new orthodontic appliances to be applied. During this longer appointment our staff will be available to make certain you are as comfortable as possible.
Convenient & Secure Online Services with Sesame 24/7
We value you as our patient and appreciate your commitment for continued oral health. We understand the importance of providing you online convenience to manage your patient information, which is why we are excited to partner with Sesame Communications in our effort to stay connected. Using our convenient online services is easy. You simply log in to your account from our website, where you have access to all of your patient information, online 24-7, in a safe, secure environment that exceeds HIPAA requirements. We are pleased to offer you this convenience free of charge, and to share with you all of the amazing features offered to you through Sesame 24-7:
- Email and text message reminders
Customize how you receive appointment reminders with email, text messaging, and/or voice mail. You can also download a reminder for use in your calendar so you don’t forget your next orthodontic appointment. After you log in to your account profile, you can confirm appointments online - reducing reminders altogether.
- Financial Pages
Just like our appointment reminders, you can customize how you receive financial reminders through email or voice mail. After you log in to your account profile, you can review and print your financial ledgers without having to call our office.
- The best part about these features is that they are already available to you! All you need is a personal email account, then call or email our office, and we will gladly provide you with your own personal login information.
You are not only our patient but also a member of our extended family. Thank you for choosing us to be your orthodontic care provider.
Notice of Privacy Practices
Effective April 24, 2003
Updated: HITECH September 1, 2013
To our patients: This notice describes how health information about you as a patient of this practice, may be used and disclosed, and how you can get access to your health information. This is required by the Privacy Regulations created as a result of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
Our commitment to your privacy:
Our practice is dedicated to maintaining the privacy of your health information. Ulrich Orthodontics is required by law to maintain the confidentiality of your health information. Ulrich Orthodontics realizes that these laws are complicated, but we must provide you with the following important information:
USE AND DISCLOSURE OF YOUR HEALTH INFORMATION IN CERTAIN SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES:
Your Authorization – Except as outlined below, we will not use or disclose your PHI unless you have signed a form authorizing the use or disclosure. You have the right to revoke that authorization in writing except to the extent that we have taken action in reliance upon the authorization or that the authorization was obtained as a condition of obtaining coverage under the group health plan, and we have the right, under other law, to contest a claim under the coverage or the coverage itself.
Ulrich Orthodontics must obtain your authorization to disclose psycho therapy notes, marketing disclosures and sale of PHI.
Ulrich Orthodontics will notify you in case of a breach of unsecured PHI.
Uses and Disclosures for Payment: We may make requests, uses and disclosures of your PHI as necessary for payment purposes. For example, we may use information regarding your medical procedures and treatment to process and pay claims. We may also disclose your PHI for the payment purposes of a health care provider or a health plan.
Uses and Disclosures for Health Care Operations: We may use and disclose your PHI as necessary for our health care operations. Examples of health care operations include activities relating to the creation, renewal, or replacement of your health insurance coverage, reinsurance, compliance, auditing, rating, business management, quality improvement and assurance.
Family and Friends Involved in Your Care: If you are available and do not object, we may disclose your PHI to your family, friends, and others who are involved in your care or payment of a claim. If you are unavailable or incapacitated and we determine that a limited disclosure is in your best interest, we may share limited PHI with such individuals. For example, we may use our professional judgment to disclose PHI to your spouse concerning the processing of a claim.
Business Associates: At times we use outside persons or organizations to help us provide you with the best service available. Examples of these outside persons and organizations might include vendors that help us process your claims. At times it may be necessary for us to provide certain of your PHI to one or more of these outside persons or organizations.
Other Products and Services: We may contact you to provide information about other health-related products and services that may be of interest to you. For example, we may use and disclose your PHI for the purpose of communicating to you about your health and health-related products we have available to you.
Other Uses and Disclosures: We may make certain other uses and disclosures of your PHI without your authorization.
- We may use or disclose your PHI for any purpose required by law. For example, we may be required by law to use or disclose your PHI to respond to a court order.
- We may disclose your PHI for public health activities, such as reporting of disease, injury, birth and death, and for public health investigations.
- We may disclose your PHI to the proper authorities if we suspect child abuse or neglect; we may also disclose your PHI if we believe you to be the victim of abuse, neglect or domestic violence.
- We may disclose your PHI if authorized by law to a government oversight agency (e.g. a state insurance department) conducting audits, investigations, or civil or criminal proceedings.
- We may disclose your PHI in the course of a judicial or administrative proceeding (e.g., to respond to a subpoena or discovery request).
- We may disclose your PHI to the proper authorities for law enforcement purposes.
- We may disclose your PHI to coroners, medical examiners, and/or funeral directors consistent with law.
- We may use or disclose your PHI for cadaveric organ, eye or tissue donation.
- We may use or disclose your PHI for research purposes, but only as permitted by law.
- We may use or disclose your PHI to avert a serious threat to health or safety.
- We may use or disclose your PHI if you are a member of the military as required by armed forces services, and we may also disclose your PHI for other specialized government functions such as national security or intelligence activities.
- We may disclose your PHI to workers’ compensation agencies for your workers’ compensation benefit determination.
- We will, if required by law, release your PHI to the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services for enforcement of HIPAA.
In the event applicable law, other than HIPAA, prohibits or materially limits our uses and disclosures or Protected Health Information, as described above, we will restrict our uses or disclosure of your Protected Health Information in accordance with the more stringent standard.
Your rights regarding your health information:
- Right to Request Restrictions: You have the right to request disclosure restrictions of PHI to a health plan with respect to healthcare for which you have paid out of pocked in full where not elsewhere restricted by law.
- Ulrich Orthodontics is required by law to provide to you a notification of all demonstrated breaches of your PHI.
- Communications: You can request that Ulrich Orthodontics communicate with you about your health and related issues in a particular manner or at a certain location. For instance, you may ask that Ulrich Orthodontics contact you at home, rather than work. Ulrich Orthodontics will accommodate reasonable requests.
- You can request a restriction in our use or disclosure of your health information for treatment, payment, or health care operations. Additionally, you have the right to request that Ulrich Orthodontics restrict our disclosure of your health information to only certain individuals involved in your care or the payment for your care, such as family members and friends. Ulrich Orthodontics is not required to agree to your request; however, if we do agree, we are bound by our agreement except when otherwise required by law, in emergencies, or when the information is necessary to treat you.
- You have the right to inspect and obtain a copy of the health information that may be used to make decisions about you, including patient medical records and billing records, but not including psychotherapy notes. You must submit your request in writing to our Privacy Official: Dr. Beau Ulrich, DDS, MS.
- You may ask us to amend your health information if you believe it is incorrect or incomplete, and as long as the information is kept by or for our practice. To request an amendment, your request must be made in writing and submitted to our Privacy Official: Dr. Beau Ulrich, DDS, MS. You must provide us with a reason that supports your request for the amendment.
- Right to a copy of this notice: You are entitled to receive a copy of the Notice of Privacy Practices. You may ask us to give you a copy of this Notice at any time. To obtain a copy of this notice, contact our Privacy Official: Dr. Beau Ulrich, DDS, MS.
- Right to file a complaint: If you believe your privacy rights have been violated, you may file a complaint with our practice or with the Regional Office for Civil Rights, US Department of Health and Human Services. Regional Office information may be found online at: http://www.hhs.gov.ocr.office/about/rgnhgaddresses.html or as the Privacy Official for he information. To file a complaint with our practice, contact our Privacy Official: Dr. Beau Ulrich, DDS, MS. All complaints must be submitted in writing. You will not be penalized for filing a complaint.
- Right to provide an authorization for other uses and disclosures: Our practice will obtain your written authorization for uses and disclosures that are not identified by this notice or permitted by applicable law.
In accordance with the standards or implementation specifications of 45 C.F.R 164.524, Provider may grant an individual access to inspect and obtain a copy of protected health information about the individual in a designated record set.
Ulrich Orthodontics policy:
- The designated record set that is subject to access by an individual is as follows:
- Medical Records
- Billing Records
- List of all those requesting copies of designated record set.
- The titles of the persons or offices responsible for receiving and processing requests for access by individuals are as follows: Privacy Official: Dr. Beau Ulrich, DDS, MS.
Ulrich Orthodontics also uses a protected health information for the following reasons: (you may opt out of this authorization). Special initial authorization is required and attached.
Marketing; internal referral board, testimonials, pictures on bulleting board, sending newsletters or information unrelated to healthcare and other marketing materials.
If you have any questions regarding this notice or our health information privacy policies, please contact:
Privacy Officer: Dr. Beau Ulrich, DDS, MS
1112 Lincoln Way
Auburn, Calif. 95603
Hours Available: A message may be left for our privacy official any time the office is open and your call will be returned within 7 business days.